The Ukrainian (Kyiv-based) Research Institute of Experimental and Clinical Oncology was established under the Ministry of Health of the Ukrainian SSR on July 1960.
The founder and first director of the Institute was Rostislav E.Kavetsky, Member of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR, follower of Oleksander O.Bogomolets.
A number of unique national schools of thought emerged and continue to develop in the Institute:
- «School of Oncology Experimenters» established by Rostislav E.Kavetsky, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of Ukr. SSR
- «Cytology of Tumor Growth» established by Vadym G.Pinchuk, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- «Study of Mechanisms of Leukemia Genesis» established by Zoya A.Butenko, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- «Genetics of Human Cancer» established by Prof. Kaleria R.Ganina, Dr.Sci.
- «Biotherapy. Natural Antitumor Substances» established by Dmytro G.Zatula, Corresponding Member of the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- «Immunology of Malignant Growth» established by Prof. Julian O.Umansky, Dr.Sci.
Nowadays, modern schools of thought are being actively formed and developed, including:
- «Molecular Basis and Biomedical Problems of Pharmacological Resistance» established by Vasyl F.Chekhun, Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- «Fundamental Mechanisms, Means and Methods of Sorption Detoxification Therapy» established by Volodymyr G.Nikolaev, Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
Today, the RE Kavetsky Institute of Experimental Pathology, Oncology and Radiobiology, NAS of Ukraine headed by Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine Vasyl F.Chekhun is a strong academic center with considerable material and human resources and more than 50 years of experience in the field of experimental and clinical oncology.
Achievements of the Institute are widely recognized. Research fellows of the Institute have been awarded 18 State Prizes in Science and Technology, 19 laureates of personal prizes of eminent scientists of the NAS of Ukraine, 8 titles of Honored Workers of Ukraine, and 1 the title of Honored Doctor of Ukraine.
RE Kavetsky IEPOR NAS of Ukraine carries out scientific research in promising areas that have been approved by the Presidium of NAS of Ukraine, and include:
- Biology of tumor cell
Study of the biology of tumor cell and the microenvironment in the setting of molecular and cellular mechanisms of oncogenesis aimed at developing a methodology for individualized correction of «tumor-host» interactions
- Metabolism of tumor cell
Study of molecular genetic features of metabolic regulation in cancer and pharmacocorrection based on biotechnological approaches and sorption-based technologies
- Molecular and cellular markers
Study of molecular and cellular markers of the initiation, promotion and progression suitable for the methods of early and differential diagnosis of cancer and prognosis of the disease
- Environment and Cancer
Effects of potentially carcinogenic environmental factors (chemical carcinogens, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation) on the molecular and cellular processes of carcinogenesis and development of the agents that can modify them
- Translational medicine — innovations in diagnosis and treatment
- Personalized medicine — individualization of treatment in oncology
Under the aegis of the institute, the Scientific Council and the Specialized Dissertation Advisory Council D.26.155.01 headed by Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine Vasyl F.Chekhun operate. It has the right to consider theses for the degrees of Doctor (Dr.Sci.) and Candidate (Ph.D.) of Medical and Biological Sciences, specialty 14.01.07 — «Oncology».
Coordination of research
In the Institute the Scientific Council of NAS of Ukraine «Malignant neoplasms» operates and is headed by Academician of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine Vasyl F.Chekhun
The Institute issues the International Scientific and Theoretical Journal «Experimental Oncology» (founded in 1979) and the Scientific Journal «Oncology» (founded in 1999)
The Institute created the «Bank of Cell Lines of Human and Animal Tissues» — a unique collection of cell cultures and tumor strains. The collection contains over 35,000 samples of biological materials used for fundamental and applied research. In 2001, it was awarded the status of the National Heritage of Ukraine.
The Institute operates the Sector for Methodological and Instrumental Support of Research that includes:
- Center for Shared Use of Research Unique Instruments / Equipment «Molecular Oncology and Biotech-nology»
- Center for Expertise and Determination of Carcinogenic Factors and Molecular Biological Markers of Tumor Growth (Certificate of Qualification dated 02.12.2011, No. PT-455/11 issued by the State Enterprise
Since 1994, IEPOR has been Ukraine's the only member of the Organization of European Cancer Institutes (OECI-EEIG). Leading experts of the IEPOR are associated members of numerous international organizations such as:
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- The British Association for Cancer Research (BACR)
- The European Association for Cancer Research (EACR)
- European Society For Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- European Society for Hyperthermic Oncology (ESHO)
- The International Network For Cancer Treatment and Research (INCTR)
The Institute has hosted numerous national and international scientific forums, the most important of them are:
- 2nd Ukrainian-Swedish Workshop «Translational Oncology: Old and New Paradigms» (2013)
- 1st Ukrainian-Swedish Workshop «New approaches in diagnostics and treatment of cancer» (2011)
- International Symposium «Tumor and Host: Novel Aspects of Old Problem» (2010)
- International Conference «Tumor Hypoxia and Malignant Progression» (2008)
- 2nd International Congress of CIS Oncologists «Oncology-2000» (2000)
- 7th International Conference on «Human Tumor Markers» (1990)
- International Symposium «Stem and Immunocompetent Cells in Normal and Tumor Growth» (1981)
- 1st National Symposium «Role of Stem Cells in Leukemo- and Carcinogenesis» (1977)
- Annual conference of young researchers «Recent Problems of Experimental and Clinical Oncology»
- Annual nationwide seminars on hematopatology